.

.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

my dandelion boys

Our little military 'brats' never asked for the life we have chosen. I have struggled with this identity myself, although after years and years as a military wife, I can confidently say that it is part of who I am. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started falling for that cute ROTC boy back in college.  But I think most military spouses will admit feeling this way to some degree because it's necessary in order to plow through life alone at times, to face frequent moves, to establish a home in a new place, and to bear the unpredictable realities of each day.

This quote and the blog that follows sum up many of the prayers I have for my Dandelion Children as they face this life. (April has been designated the Month of the Military Child.)
"The official flower of the Military child is the Dandelion. Why? The plant puts down roots almost anywhere, and it's almost impossible to destroy. It's an unpretentious plant, yet good looking. It's a survivor in a broad range of climates. Military children bloom everywhere the winds carry them. They are hardy and upright. Their roots are strong, cultivated deeply in the culture of the military, ...planted swiftly and surely. They're ready to fly in the breezes that take them to new adventures, new lands, and new friends." (copied from Shades of Green's FB page)
This blog calls our kids "unseen heroes."  We have been so fortunate to have Sandman home most of the time, but he's been TDY and downrange often, and we know there will be more goodbyes in the future.

I pray that Sandman and I equip and encourage them to bloom where they are planted.  To be strong and courageous, knowing that the Lord is with them in new towns, with new friends, when missing the lives we leave behind each time we move.  We pray that we would cultivate in them deep roots, not just in the military culture, but in our family culture, in their faith in God, and in their desire to serve others. 

And let's be honest, even though dandelions are considered weeds, they are much loved in our family.  Like most kids, my boys can't bear to leave one standing, and they take great joy in watching the little seed pods fly away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment